Results of Prolonged Electrical Stimulation for Consequences of Peroneal Nerve Injury
Keywords:peroneal nerve injury, surgical treatment, prolonged electrical stimulation
In this study we present the results of surgical treatment of 25 patients with consequences of peroneal nerve injury with application of system NeuSy-3М for prolonged electrical stimulation. The system of domestic production is an individual and provides the opportunity for direct electrical stimulation sessions at home several times a day for a long time. In general, the positive results obtained in the form of increased size and strength of movements in the limbs varying degrees, the recovery of sensitive disorders and the disappearance or reduction of pain syndrome in 18 (72 %) patients. With failure of conservative treatment and at the presence of indications for surgical intervention in patients with peroneal nerve injury use of prolonged electrical stimulation gives more chances to recover the lost limb function, regression of pain syndrome and autonomic-trophic disorders.
Gosk J. The lower extremity nerve injuries — own experience in surgical treatment / J. Gosk, R. Rutowski, J. Rabczyiiski // Folia Neuropathol. — 2005. — V. 43, № 3. — P. 148-152.
Management and outcomes in 318 operative common peroneal nerve lesions at the Louisiana Stale University Health Sciences Center / D.H. Kim, J.A. Murovic, R.L. Tiel [et al.] // Neurosurgery. — 2004. — V. 54. — P. 421-1429.
Intraneural metastasis of gastric carcinoma leads to sciatic nerve palsy / J. Ichikawa, S. Matsumoto, T. Shimoji [et al.] // BMC Cancer. — 2012. — V. 12. — P. 313.
Ахмедова Г.М. Клинические варианты подгрушевидной седалищной нейропатии: Дис… канд. мед. наук: 14.00.13 / Ахмедова Гузель Марсовна. — Казань, 2009. — 146 с.
Паткина И.В. Макро-микроскопическая анатомия и деформативно-прочностные свойства большеберцового и общего малоберцового нервов взрослых людей: Дис… канд. мед. наук: 14.00.02 / Паткина Ирина Владимировна. — Саратов, 2008. — 148 с.
Нугайбекова Г.А. Клинические варианты синдрома малоберцового нерва: Дис... канд. мед. наук: 14.00.13 / Нугайбекова Гульшат Ардинатовна. — Казань, 2003. — 128 с.
High resolution (3T) magnetic resonance neurography of the sciatic nerve / C. Cejas, M. Aguilar, L. Falcón [et al.] // Radiologia. — 2012 Aug. 3.
Localized hypertrophic neuropathy of the sciatic nerve in children: MRI findings / A. Roux, C. Tréguier, B. Bruneau [et al.] // Pediatr. Radiol. — 2012. — V. 42, № 8. — P. 952-958.
Фомін Г.М. Травматичні ушкодження сідничного нерва (клініка, діагностика та хірургічне лікування): Автореф. дис… канд. мед. наук: спец. 14.01.05 «нейрохірургія» / Г.М. Фомин. — К., 1999. — 15 с.
Kaiser R. Surgery for sciatic nerve injuries / R. Kaiser, L. Houšťava, P. Haninec // Acta Chir. Orthop. Traumatol. Cech. — 2012. — V. 79, № 5. — P. 437-441.
McCaig C.D. Neurotrophins enhance electric field-directed growth cone guidance and directed nerve branching / C.D. McCaig, L. Sagster, R. Stewart // Dev. Dyn. — 2000. — V. 217, № 3. — P. 299-308.
Wan L.D. Electrical stimulation enhanced remyelination of injured sciatic nerves by increasing neurotrophins / L.D. Wan, R. Xia, W.L. Ding // Neuroscience. — 2010. — V. 169, № 3. — P. 1029-1038.
Alrashdan M.S. Thirty minutes of low intensity electrical stimulation promotes nerve regeneration after sciatic nerve crush injury in a rat model / M.S. Alrashdan, J.C. Park, M.A. Sung // Acta Neurol. Belg. — 2010. — V. 110, № 2. — P. 168-179.
What is neuromodulation? / E.S. Krames, P.H. Peckham, A.R. Rezai, F. Aboelsaad // Neuromodulation / Ed. E.S. Krames et al. — London: Elsevier, 2009. — P. 3-8.
Hegarty D. Spinal Cord Stimulation: The Clinical Application of New Technology / D. Hegarty // Anesthesiol. Res. Pract. — 2012. — V. 37. — P. 56-91.
Copyright (c) 2016 INTERNATIONAL NEUROLOGICAL JOURNAL
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
- The rights to the article are deemed transferred by the authors to the edition (the publisher) since the moment of the publication of the article in the printed or electronic version of journal.