Treatment of Migraine by Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
Keywords:transcranial magnetic stimulation, migraine, efficiency
This article describes examination of 10 patients with migraine, in whom routine medical treatment was ineffective and in whom we applied high-frequency repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation of the dominant dorsolateral prefrontal cortex. After using high-frequency repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation, we have noted a decrease in the incidence of migraine attacks by 31.8 %; level of depressive signs — by 31.7 %; improvement of daily activities — by 23.7 %; reduction in hea-dache severity — by 6.9 %. Treatment outcomes are encouraging. For further development of transcranial magnetic stimulation as a treatment modality for migraine, it is necessary to continue researches in this direction.
Artemenko A.R. Lechenye khronycheskoy myhreny / Artemenko A.R., Kurenkov A.L., Nykytyn S.S. // Zhurnal nevrolohyy y psykhyatryy. – 2011. – #5. – S.85-89.
Dubenko O.E. Profylaktycheskoe lechenye myhreny. / Dubenko O.E., Sotnykov D.D. // Mezhdunarodnыy nevrolohycheskyy zhurnal Holovnaya bol' (tematycheskyy nomer).– 2009. – S. 24-29.
Evtushenko S.K. Prymenenye metoda transkranyal'noy mahnytnoy stymulyatsyy v klynycheskoy nevrolohyy / Evtushenko S.K., Kazaryan N.Э., Symonyan V.A. // Mezhdunarodnыy nevrolohycheskyy zhurnal. — 2007. — #5. – S.119-126.
Myshchenko T.S. Myhren': эpydemyolohyya, dyahnostyka, lechenye, profylaktyka / Myshchenko T.S. // Zdorov'e Ukraynы. — 2010. — #2. – S.7–9.
Morozova O.H. Myhren': sovremennыe predstavlenyya o klassyfykatsyy, dyahnostyke, terapyy y profylaktyke (Chast' I). / Morozova O.H. // Medytsyna neotlozhnыkh sostoyanyy. – 2012. – #4. – S.32 – 41. 6. Алмараз А.C. Тhе еффеcт оф пропhyлаcтіc медіcатіонс он ТМС фор міграіне аура / Алмараз А.C., Діллі Е., Додіcк Д.W. // Hеадаче. – 2010. –№10. –1630-3.
Almaraz A.C. The effect of prophylactic medications on TMS for migraine aura / Almaraz A.C., Dilli E., Dodick D.W. // Headache. – 2010. –№10. –1630-3.
Barker A.T. Noninvasive magnetic stimulation of the human motor cortex / Barker A.T., Jalinous R., Freeston I.L. // Lancet.—1985.—i.—1106–1107.
Clarke B.M. Transcranial magnetic stimulation for migraine: clinical effects/ Clarke B.M., Upton A.R.M, Kamath M.V. et al// Headache Pain. – Oct 2006. – №7(5). – 341–346.
Lipton R. B. Single-pulse transcranial magnetic stimulation for acute treatment of migraine with aura: a randomised, double-blind, parallel-group, sham-controlled trial. / Lipton R. B., Dodick D.W., Silberstein S.D. // Lancet Neurol. –2010. –№9. –373–380.
Rossi S. Safety, ethical considerations, and application guidelines for the use of transcranial magnetic stimulation in clinical practice and research / Rossi S., Hallett M., Rossini P.M. // Clin Neurophysiol. –2009. –№120. –2008–2039.
Wassermann E.M. Therapeutic application of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation: a review / Wassermann E.M., Lisanby S.H. // Clin Neurophysiol. –2011. –№112. –1367–1377.
Copyright (c) 2016 INTERNATIONAL NEUROLOGICAL JOURNAL
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
- The rights to the article are deemed transferred by the authors to the edition (the publisher) since the moment of the publication of the article in the printed or electronic version of journal.