Multiple sclerosis in twins
Keywords:multiple sclerosis, children, twins
In 3 to 10 % of cases, multiple sclerosis (MS) onset is before the age of 16, and in less than 1 % of patients — under the age of 10. In the modern domestic literature, there are no publications that would describe cases of MS in twins, but it is established that the concordance of monozygotic twins for MS is only 30 %. We observed and treated a dizygotic pair of twins with the onset of multiple sclerosis. It was found that a patient with more pronounced manifestations of sclerosis had a higher level of homocysteine compared to his twin brother, who had a few focal changes when using magnetic resonance imaging. In our opinion, it is advisable toexamine both children from a pair of twins for the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis, even when one of patients has symptoms and the other has no symptoms.
Boiko A., Vorobeychik G., Paty D., et al. Early onset multiple sclerosis: a longitudinal study. Neurology. 2002. Vol. 59. № 7. P. 1006-1010.
Renoux C., Vukusic S., Mikaeloff Y., et al. Natural history of multiple sclerosis with childhood onset. N. Engl. J. Med. 2007. Vol. 356. № 25. P. 2603-2613.
Gorman M.P., Healy B.C., Polgar-Turcsanyi M., et al. Increased relapse rate in pediatric-onset compared with adult-onset multiple sclerosis. Arch. Neurol. 2009. Vol. 66(1). Р. 54-9.
Willer C.J., Dyment D.A., Risch N.J., et al.Twin concordance and sibling recurrence rates in multiple sclerosis. Genetics. 2003. Vol. 100. № 22. P. 12877-12882. Published online 2003 Oct 20. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1932604100
Неврология раннего детского возраста. Под ред. проф. С.К. Евтушенко. Киев, 2016.
Евтушено С.К., Москаленко М.А. Рассеянный склероз у детей (клиника, диагностика, лечение). Руководство для врачей. Киев, 2009.
Copyright (c) 2020 INTERNATIONAL NEUROLOGICAL JOURNAL
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
- The rights to the article are deemed transferred by the authors to the edition (the publisher) since the moment of the publication of the article in the printed or electronic version of journal.