Non-psychotic mental disorders in young men with epilepsy
Keywords:epilepsy, comorbid disorders, non-psychotic mental disorders, neuropsychological testing, epilepsy in young men
AbstractBackground. Epilepsy is one of the most important clinical problems and at the same time it is an interdisciplinary challenge. Comorbid disorders in epilepsy represent an extensive heterogeneous group of various conditions, most of which are mental disorders (personality disorder, dementia, depression, anxiety disorders, psychoses). The objective is to study the comorbidity of epilepsy and non-psychotic mental disorders in young men and the characteristics of its impact on the quality of life of a patient. Materials and methods. This study analyzed data from neuropsychological testing of 40 men aged 18–44 years. The correlation analysis (Pearson correlation coefficient) was used to determine the degree and nature of the relationship between the study parameters. All the differences and relationships mentioned in the article were considered statistically valid at p < 0.05. Results. All patients in this study were found to have non-psychotic mental disorders in the form of anxiety, concern about their health, and a decrease in self-esteem. Personal and situational anxiety averaged 45.60 ± 0.35 points. One of the most common non-psychotic disorders in individuals with epilepsy is organic personality disorder. Analysis on the International Personality Disorder Examination scale showed that 32 people (80 %) had organic personality disorder due to epilepsy. The depression is the most common comorbidity observed in individuals with epilepsy. An analysis of the data of 40 people using Hamilton Depression Rating Scale showed that mild depressive disorders were observed in 18 (45 %) people, moderate — in 12 (30 %), and severe depressive disorders — in 10 patients (25 %). The depth of manifestations of depression correlated with the duration of the disease (r = 0.39; p < 0.05), introversion (r = 0.33; p < 0.05), age (r = 0.29; p < 0.05) and polytherapy (r = 0.53; p < 0.05). Conclusions. Thus, we have identified non-psychotic mental disorders such as organic personality disorder, dementia, depression, which are typical for epilepsy in young men.
Austin J.K., Harezlak J., Dunn D.W., Huster G.A. Behavior problems in children before first recognized seizures. Pediatrics. 2001. 107. 96-102.
Baker G. Quality of life of people with epilepsy: a European study. Epilepsia. 1997. 38(3). 353-362.
Barragan E., Cruz E., Urrutia M. Prevalence of attention deficit disorder in paediatric epilepsy patients. Epilepsia. 2006. 47(4). 179.
Barragan E., Cruz E., Urrutia M. Neurocognitive differences between frontal and temporal seizures in pediatric epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2006. 47(4). 206.
Broicher S.D., Kuchukhidze G., Grunwald T., Krämer G., Kurthen M., Jokeit H. “Tell me how do I feel” — emotion recognition and theory of mind in symptomatic mesial temporal lobe epilepsy. Neuropsychologia. 2012. 50(1). 118-128.
Folstein M.F., Folstein S.E., McHugh P.R. “Mini-mental state”. A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician. J. Psychiatr. Res. 1975. 12(3). 189-198.
Gaitatzis A., Trimble M.R., Sander J.W. The psychiatric comorbidity of epilepsy. Acta Neurol. Scand. 2004. 110. 207-220.
Kanner A.M. Depression in epilepsy: prevalence, clinical semio-logy, pathogenic mechanisms, and treatment. Biol. Psychiatry. 2003. 54. 388-398.
Lodhi S., Agrawal N. Neurocognitive problems in epilepsy. Advances in Psychiatric Treatment. 2012. 18. 232-240.
Waxman S.G., Geschwind N. The interictal behavior syndrome of temporal lobe epilepsy. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry. 1975. 32. 1580-1586.
Глухова Л.Ю. Аутистический эпилептиформный регресс. Вест. эпилептол. 2012. 1. 3-11.
Евтушенко С.К. Разрушительные и труднокурабельные формы эпилепсии и эпилептические энцефалопатии. Междунар. неврол. журн. 2012. 6(52). 16-21.
Марценковський І.А. Протиепілептичні препарати та інші засоби лікування епілепсій з розладами спектра аутизму. Укр. вісн. психоневрол. 2014. 3(80). 121-126.
Марценковский И.А., Марценковская И.И. Эпилепсия и коморбидные расстройства психики и поведения. Укр. мед. часопис. 2015. 4(108). 43-53.
Мищенко Т.С. Деменция — это не нозологическая форма, а синдром. Neuronews: Психоневрология и нейропсихиатрия. 2009. 2(1). 6-9.
Electronic source: http://www.moz.gov.ua
Copyright (c) 2020 INTERNATIONAL NEUROLOGICAL JOURNAL
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
- The rights to the article are deemed transferred by the authors to the edition (the publisher) since the moment of the publication of the article in the printed or electronic version of journal.