Effect of anticonvulsant drugs on men fertility
Keywords:epilepsy, antiepileptic drugs, fertility, men, sperm parameters, sex hormones, review
AbstractTo study the world experience on the influence of antiepileptic drugs on sexual function and fertility in men and to find the drugs with the least negative impact on these functions, the search for the articles and abstracts in the MedLine, The Cochrane Library, Scopus, Google scholar databases was performed with such keywords as fertility, male fertility, men fertility, antiepileptic drugs, epilepsy, sex hormones, sperm parameters, sexual and reproductive health, sexual function. The analysis of the obtained data revealed that there is a relative lack of information on the effect of antiepileptic drugs on fertility in men, which necessitates further researches to study the influence of these drugs on the fertility of men, not just women. When prescribing antiepileptic drugs, in turn, it is desirable to give preference to drugs with the least negative impact on sexual function and fertility, such as levetiracetam, lamotrigine and oxcarbazepine.
Engel J.J., Pedley T.A. Introduction: What is epilepsy? Engel J.J., Pedley T.A. (eds) Epilepsy: A comprehensive textbook. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven publishers, 1997. Р. 1-10.
Hauser W.A. Incidence and prevalence. Engel J.J., Pedley T.A. (eds) Epilepsy: А comprehensive textbook. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven Publishers, 1997. Р. 47-58.
Baker G., Jacoby A., Buck D., Stalgis C., Monnet D. Quality of life of people with epilepsy: a European study. Epilepsia. 1997. 38. 353-62.
Wilde M., Haslam C. Living with epilepsy: a qualitative study investigating the experiences of young people attending outpatients clinics in Leicester. Seizure. 1996. 5. 63-72.
Bishop M., Allen C. The impact of epilepsy on quality of life: a qualitative analysis. Epilepsy Behav. 2003. 4. 226-33.
Morrell M., Montouris G. Reproductive disturbances in patients with epilepsy. Cleve Clin. J. Med. 2004. 71 (Suppl. 2). S19-24.
Artama M., Isojärvi J.I., Raitanen J., Auvinen A. Birth rate among patients with epilepsy: a nationwide population-based cohort study in Finland. Am. J. Epidemiol. 2004. 159(11). 1057-1063.
Schupf N., Ottman R. Reproduction among individuals with idiopathic/cryptogenic epilepsy: risk factors for reduced fertility in marriage. Epilepsia. 1996. 37. 833-840.
Jalava M., Sillanpää M., Camfield C., Camfield P. Social adjustment and competence 35 years after onset of childhood epilepsy: a prospective controlled study. Epilepsia. 1997. 38(6). 708-715.
Herzog A., Seibel M., Schomer D., Vaitukaitis J., Geschwind N. Reproductive endocrine disorders in men with partial seizures of temporal lobe origin. Arch. Neurol. 1986. 43. 347-50.
Murialdo G., Galimberti C., Fonzi S. et al. Sex hormones and pituitary function in male epileptic patients with altered or normal sexuality. Epilepsia. 1995. 36. 360-5.
Morrell M. Sexuality in epilepsy. Engel J., Pedley T.A., editors. Epilepsy: a comprehensive textbook. New York: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 1997. Р. 2021-6.
Pritchard P. Hyposexuality: a complication of complex partial epilepsy. Trans. Am. Neurol. Asset. 1980. 105. 193-195.
Blumer D., Walker A. Sexual behavior in temporal lobe epilepsy. Arch. Neurol. 1967. 16. 37-43.
Herzog A.G., Drislane F.W., Schomer D.L., Pennell P.B., Bromfield E.B., Dworetzky B.A. et al. Differential effects of antiepileptic drugs on sexual function and reproductive hormones in men with epilepsy. Neurology. 2005. 65. 1016-20.
Herzog A.G. Reproductive endocrine regulation in men with epilepsy: effects on reproductive function and neuronal excitability. Ann. Neurol. 2002. 51. 539-42.
Herzog A.G., Drislane F.W., Schomer D.L., Pennell P.B., Bromfield E.B., Kelly K.M. et al. Differential antiepileptic drug effects on sexual function and reproductive hormones: interim analysis of a comparison between lamotrigine and enzyme-inducing antiepileptic drugs. Epilepsia. 2004. 45. 764-8.
Taneja N., Kucheria K., Jain S., Maheshwari M.C. Effect of phenytoin on semen. Epilepsia. 1994. 35. 136-40.
Stoffel-Wagner B., Bauer J., Flugel D., Brennemann W., Klingmuller D., Elger C.E. Serum sex hormones are altered in patients with chronic temporal lobe epilepsy receiving anticonvulsant medication. Epilepsia. 1998. 39. 1164-73.
Christiansen P., Deigaard J., Lund M. Potens, fertilitet of konshormonudskillelse hos yngre manglige epilepsilidend. Ugeskrift For Laeger. 1975. 137. 2402-5.
Fenwick P.B., Mercer S., Grant R., Wheeler M., Nanjee N., Toone B. et al. Nocturnal penile tumescence and serum testosterone levels. Arch. Sex. Behav. 1986. 15. 13-21.
MacPhee J.A., Larkin J.G., Butler E., Graham H.B., Brodie M.J. Circulating hormones and pituitary responsiveness in young epileptic men receiving long-term antiepileptic medication. Epilepsia. 1988. 29. 468-75.
Montouris G., Morris G. Reproductive and sexual dysfunction in men with epilepsy. Epilepsy & Behavior. 2005. 7. S7-S14.
Herzog A. Disorders of reproduction and fertility. Engel J. Jr, Pedley T.A., eds. Epilepsy: a Comprehensive Textbook, 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 2007. 2053-2059.
Isojärvi J., Pakarinen A., Ylipalosaari P. et al. Serum hormones in male epileptic patients receiving anticonvulsant medication. Arch. Neurol. 1990. 47. 670-6.
Daoud A.S., Bataineh H., Otoom S., Abdul-Zahra E. The effect of Vigabatrin, Lamotrigine and Gabapentin on the fertility, weights, sex hormones and biochemical profiles of male rats. Neuro Endocrinol. Lett. 2004. 25(3). 178-183.
Rättyä J., Turkka J., Pakarinen A.J. et al. Reproductive effects of valproate, carbamazepine, and oxcarbazepine in men with epilepsy. Neurology. 2001. 56(1). 31-36.
Røste L.S., Taubøll E., Mørkrid L. et al. Antiepileptic drugs alter reproductive endocrine hormones in men with epilepsy. Eur. J. Neurol. 2005. 12(2). 118-124.
Hamed S., Mohamed K., El-Taher A. et al. The sexual and reproductive health in men with generalized epilepsy: a multidisciplinary evaluation. Int. J. Impot. Res. 2006. 18. 287-295.
Najafi M.R., Ansari B., Zare M., Fatehi F., Sonbolestan A. Effects of antiepileptic drugs on sexual function and reproductive hormones of male epileptic patients. Iran J. Neurol. 2012. 11(2). 37-41.
Xiaotian X., Hengzhong Z., Yao X., Zhipan Z., Daoliang X., Yumei W. Effects of antiepileptic drugs on reproductive endocrine function, sexual function and sperm parameters in Chinese Han men with epilepsy. J. Clin. Neurosci. 2013. 20(11). 1492-1497.
Zhao S., Wang X., Wang Y. et al. Effects of valproate on reproductive endocrine function in male patients with epilepsy: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Epilepsy Behav. 2018. 85. 120-128.
Ceylan M., Yalcin A., Bayraktutan O.F., Karabulut I., Sonkaya A.R. Effects of levetiracetam monotherapy on sperm para-meters and sex hormones: Data from newly diagnosed patients with epilepsy. Seizure. 2016. 41. 70-74.
Grant S., Faulds D. Oxcarbazepine. A review of its pharmacology and therapeutic potential in epilepsy, trigeminal neuralgia and affective disorders. Drugs. 1992 Jun. 43(6). 873-88.
Larkin J., Thompson G., Scobie G., Drennan J., Brodie M. Lack of major effects on mouse brain adenosine A1 receptors of oral carbamazepine and calcium antagonists. Epilepsia. 1991 Sep-Oct. 32(5). 729-34.
Isojärvi J., Pakarinen A., Rautio A., Pelkonen O., Myllylä V. Liver enzyme induction and serum lipid levels after replacement of carbamazepine with oxcarbazepine. Epilepsia. 1994 Nov-Dec. 35(6). 1217-20.
Patsalos P., Zakrzewska J., Elyas A. Dose dependent enzyme induction by oxcarbazepine? Eur. J. Clin. Pharmacol. 1990. 39(2). 187-8.
Wu D., Chen L., Ji F. et al. The effects of oxcarbazepine, levetiracetam, and lamotrigine on semen quality, sexual function, and sex hormones in male adults with epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2018. 59. 1344-50.
Ocek L., Tarhan H., Uludağ F.İ. et al. Evaluation of sex hormones and sperm parameters in male epileptic patients. Acta Neurol. Scand. 2018. 137. 409-416.
Mohamed Wafaa S., Nageeb Rania S., Hashim Noha A., Omran Alaa A. Effect of valproate versus levetiracetam monotherapy on reproductive functions in newly diagnosed epileptic males. Egyptian Journal of Neurology, Psychiatry & Neurosurgery. Jun 2019. Vol. 55. Issue 40. Р. 1-6.
Calabrò R.S., Ferlazzo E., Bramanti P. Oxcarbazepine-rela-ted male infertility. Epilepsy Behav. 2010. 19(4). 665.
Mazdeh М., Heidari М., Taheri М., Ghafouri-Fard S. Anticonvulsant drugs effects on sex hormone levels and sexual function in men with epilepsy. Future Neurology. 2020. 15. 2.
Copyright (c) 2020 INTERNATIONAL NEUROLOGICAL JOURNAL
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
- The rights to the article are deemed transferred by the authors to the edition (the publisher) since the moment of the publication of the article in the printed or electronic version of journal.