Memory and attention impairment in middle-aged patients: diagnosis and treatment
Keywords:stress, psychoemotional disorders, cognitive impairment, treatment
Background. Cognitive and psychoemotional disorders in middle-aged patients are an important medical and social problem. Diagnosis and treatment of violations in cognitive and emotional sphere is an urgent task of family doctors, therapists, neurologists, psychiatrists, etc. The role of chronic psychosocial stress, which is closely linked to the pathophysiology of depressive and anxiety disorders, plays an important role in the impairment of memory, neurodynamic functions in middle-aged people. Attention, processing speed and the ability to switch from one activity to another are impaired, patients complain of slowing thinking and reactions that often interfere with their professional activity. Search for medicines that reduce anxiety and do not impair cognitive function and vegetative state is relevant. The preliminary results of experimental studies of choline alphoscerate demonstrated its ability to reduce age-related structural changes in the frontal cortex of the brain and the hippocampus. Objective: diagnosis of cognitive dysfunction associated with psychoemotional disorders in middle-aged patients and treatment of cognitive and emotional disorders with the addition of Reneuro Plus dietary supplement. Materials and methods. Sixty patients aged 44 to 59 years with mild to moderate cognitive impairment were screened. The psychodiagnostic study was performed using: Luria test, Montreal Cognitive Assessment tool, digit symbol substitution test, Spielberger-Khanin personal and reactive anxiety scales. Treatment included antihypertensive, metabolic, hypolipidemic therapy. In addition, the patients in the main group (n = 30) were additionally receiving Reneuro Plus dietary supplement. Results. Cognitive impairment was observed in the following areas: attention and concentration, memory, optical and spatial skills, abstract thinking and counting. After treatment, almost all patients in group 1 noted improvement in both mood and cognitive function: mental performance increased, memory improved, number of episodes of forgetfulness and inattention decreased, concentration of attention increased, while in the group 2, the number of patients with significant improvement was significantly lower (p < 0.05). The results of reactive anxiety testing showed a decrease in the scores for this scale in Reneuro Plus group. The difference between the data before and after treatment in the main group was statistically significant (p < 0.05). The tolerability of Reneuro Plus dietary supplement was evaluated as good, there were no cases of drug withdrawal. Laboratory studies did not have a negative effect on the blood, renal and liver function. The treatment of psychoemotional disorders with cognitive impairment requires considerable attention of the clinician. When cognitive impairment is associated with anxiety and depression, therapy should be started from the treatment of anxiety and depression, as cognitive disorders in this case may be secondary to emotional disorders. It should be borne in mind that many drugs, in particular cholinolytics, tricyclic antidepressants, neuroleptics, benzodiazepines, may worsen cognitive functions. Conclusions. In middle-aged patients, on the background of chronic stress, psychoemotional disorders with cognitive impairment are formed. The use of Reneuro Plus dietary supplement in the comprehensive treatment of cognitive impairment associated with anxiety disorders contributes to the improvement of cognitive and psychoemotional functions in middle-aged patients. The 30-day course of therapy using Reneuro Plus dietary supplement is safe and does not cause unwanted side effects.
Алфимова М.В. Влияние тревоги на когнитивные процессы при депрессивном синдроме / М.В. Алфимова, И.А. Лапин, Е.В. Аксенова, Т.С. Мельникова // Социальная и клиническая психиатрия. — 2017. — Т. 27, № 1. — С. 5-12.
Антоненко Л.М. Когнитивные и эмоциональные нарушения в среднем возрасте: вопросы диагностики и лечения /
Л.М. Антоненко, В.А. Парфенов // Медицинский совет. — 2015. — № 10. — С. 22-27.
Бурчинський С.Г. Комплексная коррекция тревожных и когнитивных расстройств в ангионеврологии: цели, задачи, инструменты // Міжнародний неврологічний журнал. — 2017. — № 8(94). — С. 73-78.
Выговская С.Н. Хроническая ишемия головного мозга — от правильной диагностики к адекватной терапии / Выговская С.Н., Нувахова М.Б., Дорогинина А.Ю., Рачин А.П. // РМЖ. — 2015. — № 12. — С. 694. — Режим доступу: https://www.rmj.ru/articles/nevrologiya/Hronicheskaya_ishemiya_golovnogo_mozga__ot_pravilynoy_diagnostiki_k_adekvatnoy_terapii/#ixzz58ubebPy6
Громова Д.О. Когнитивные нарушения у больных молодого и среднего возраста: диагностика и подходы к терапии / Д.О. Громова Н.В. Вахнина // Эффективная фармакотерапия. Неврология. — 2017. — № 3(31).
Насонова Т.І. Нейровегетативні та когнітивні порушення, асоційовані з тривогою у пацієнтів середнього віку із цереброваскулярними захворюваннями / Т.І. Насонова, О.В. Кліменко, Т.В. Колосова, Г.В. Горєва, Ю.І. Головченко, О.В. Тишкевич, О.М. Гурмак // Семейная медицина. — 2017. — № 2. — С. 97-102. — Режим доступу: http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/simmed_2017_2_21.
Филатова Е.Г. Терапия нарушений памяти и внимания у молодых пациентов / Е.Г. Филатова, М.В. Наприенко // Неврология, нейропсихиатрия, психосоматика. — 2013. — 3. — 18-23.
Copyright (c) 2018 INTERNATIONAL NEUROLOGICAL JOURNAL
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
- The rights to the article are deemed transferred by the authors to the edition (the publisher) since the moment of the publication of the article in the printed or electronic version of journal.